Seeing as it’s December 23 today, and Christmas is in two days(!), I feel that I should pay homage to the amazing Christmas music I’ve been listening to. Not old-time classics, but new Christmas songs by some of my favorite bands.
My Top Nine New Christmas Songs:
1. Christmas With You - Artist Vs Poet I’m so in love with this song, it’s not even funny. It’s incredibly sweet, and I believe that guitarist Joe Kirkland also sings on this track. It’s an all-around beautiful Christmas song (new classic!)
2. Baby Please Come Home - Josh Ramsay The Marianas Trench frontman contributed his cover of this song to ‘A 604 Records Christmas’, and he does an incredible job at sounding like he really means what he’s singing. Despite this not being an extremely ‘Christmassy Christmas song’, it still suits the season.
3. Merry Christmas Kiss My Ass - All Time Low The title doesn’t sound like it belongs with the nice Christmas songs, but this is a great song that pokes fun at people who end relationships during the holidays. Thank you, All Time Low, for a song that many people can relate to.
4. Sing In Celebration - Faber Drive Another contribution to ‘A 604 Records Christmas’, this song puts elements of classic Christmas songs such as “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen” into a new, catchy beat. A bit more religious than most songs I like, but still a great song! It’s tough to put more than one song together into a new one.
5. Mile High Christmas - Breathe Carolina Maybe not such a good song for kids, as this song talks about marijuana cookies and Santa getting high on Christmas Eve. However, the music sounds awesome, and the lyrics are actually pretty funny.
6. Mittens - Carly Rae Jepsen A very cute Christmassy song that, surprisingly, is about having broken up with a person and they aren’t around this holiday (you wouldn’t know it by hearing the title!). You have to listen to the lyrics to really get this song, but Carly Rae Jepsen did a good job on it.
7. Red White and You - These Kids Wear Crowns VERY catchy song. The repetitive lyrics are actually cute, and the general idea of the song is very true of the holiday season.
8. For Christmas Time - Suzie McNeil Incredible vocals and beautiful lyrics accompanied by a great melody make for an amazing song that exudes a feeling of just wanting to get home for Christmas… While still being modern.
9. Frostbite Kisses - Jakalope I don’t like Jakalope much, but this song isn’t bad, and though it has sort of an eerie feel about it, I like it and it reminds me of winter. However, if you don’t like non-traditional Christmas music, steer clear of this song (more so than other non-traditional songs I’ve mentioned).
There are many other great new Christmas songs on the albums “A 604 Records Christmas” and “‘Tis the Season to be Fearless”, which some of the above songs are on. Just because I didn’t put a song on my Top Nine list doesn’t mean it isn’t an awesome song!
Merry Christmas, or if you don’t celebrate Christmas, happy holidays!