Although it’s late January, and I should have posted this a long time ago, I thought I’d do a Most Anticipated Albums of 2011 list. Alternative Press has a great list, but these are my personal calendar-circles (as AP rarely features Canadian musicians, or unsigned ones).
Katy’s Top Six Most Anticipated Albums/EPs of 2011:
1. All Time Low - Dirty Work (Interscope Records) I’m really looking forward to this album, as All Time Low are my favorite band. This release will be special to me, as I unfortunately hadn’t heard of them prior to their 2009 release, thus making Dirty Work the first ATL album I can anticipate.
2. Marianas Trench - Untitled (604 Records) I love Marianas Trench, but as with All Time Low, I haven’t been a fan long enough to remember the release of the previous albums. However, both of their released full-lengths have had a huge impact on my life, and I eagerly await the new album. Note: I’m not entirely sure if this will be a 2011 release, but it is likely.
3. Fighting For Ithaca - Untitled (Unsigned) As a local and dedicated fan of Fighting For Ithaca, I’ve been privileged enough to hear a couple of their new songs before anyone else. I hold no doubt that the new EP will be just as incredible as the last, and in particular, eagerly await the recorded version of “Waffles”, as the song has been dubbed by fans.
4. The Hollow Empire - Untitled (Unsigned) The three demo songs and one single by this band hold memories of summer for me, and I can’t wait for more. This is the only little-known unsigned band that I haven’t lost interest with, and it’s definitely because of the music. I hope for a debut album as amazing as the debut single, “Your Best Act.”
5. Avril Lavigne - Goodbye Lullaby (RCA Records) I’ll admit, I am an Avril Lavigne fan. I have been since I was nine. I do love her old albums better than her 2007 release, but I’ve read that Goodbye Lullaby will take a new, more mature path than anything she’s put out in the past. Already, I love the lead single, “What The Hell”, and that song is supposed to be the least personal one on the album. Because of that, I’m excited.
6. The Latency - Untitled (Maple Music Recordings) I’m not sure if this will turn out to be a 2011 release, but I’m hopeful. I know that The Latency have been recording and writing for months already, and so there is evidence that it will be released this year. They premiered a few songs during the can’T keEp A SecrEt tour with Faber Drive in spring 2010, and I loved those songs (which may not even make the album!). If the new album is even half as good as the debut album, I’ll be more than satisfied.